💳 WhatCard Community

This is how you set up ipaymy to reduce your IRAS tax payments

[Use “WHATCARD20” promo code to get $20 off your first ipaymy transaction!]

Two weeks ago, I wrote an introductory article about how one is able to receive cashback from mandatory IRAS tax payments. In this article, I will explain this in greater detail and address common questions on using ipaymy’s services for IRAS tax payments.

Do I need to set up a new payment mode in IRAS?

No, you do not need to do so. If you are already on Giro payment scheme (like me), all you need to do is create an account on ipaymy, and set up a one-time / recurring payment to IRAS. Then, you need to schedule a payment before your Giro deduction date. Once IRAS receives your payment from ipaymy, they will not deduct it from your bank account. If you have set this up as monthly tax payment, IRAS will not debit your bank account as long as ipaymy pays this amount.

Will I pay my income tax twice in this arrangement?

In the event that you schedule an ipaymy payment too close to the processing date of IRAS, it is entirely possible that your UOB One card is charged the monthly tax payment,while IRAS continues to debit the balance in your bank account. In this scenario, you are pre-paying your income tax; this will result in the shortening of your payment schedule by 1 month (IRAS will automatically make this adjustment).

Does the “WHATCARD20” promo code work for recurring payment?

Yes, however, cashback of $20 only applies to first-time users of the service on their first transaction. Therefore, if you schedule Giro payment over 12 months, you will only get this rate on your first transaction.

Does the UOB One card work with ipaymy? There are a couple of transactions which are not recognized by UOB as eligible spending

Yes, it works. I have verified this with the business development manager at ipaymy.

Does this work with miles cards?

Absolutely! We are writing from the perspective of UOB One card, because it is the only card that has cash rewards greater than that of the admin fee. If you transact with a miles card such as Citi Premiermiles, you are effectively buying miles earned on the credit card (paying with the admin fee).

Step-by-step process

Summary

You don’t have to change your existing IRAS payment methods to take advantage of this opportunity to earn cashback on your IRAS tax payments. Once you have set up your monthly payment to IRAS via ipaymy, your bank balance will not be deducted as long as you schedule the ipaymy payment before the IRAS processing date. In a rare event, you may pay twice (for one month, pay via ipaymy as well as having your bank account debited), but because of this prepayment, you shorten your payment schedule by a month :slight_smile:

14_1597x400

If you would like to get the maximum rewards from your credit cards, do consider integrating WhatCard into your lifestyle to help you optimize your credit card rewards, and follow us on Facebook to stay updated on the latest tips, tricks, and hacks (like this article!) to get the most out of your credit cards

If you enjoyed this article, you may also be interested in:

Get cashback from your IRAS tax payments using this service!
2 Months Promo: Get 10% cashback for online spending through DBS Live Fresh!
The highest interest savings account in Singapore today (2020 Edition, post Covid-19)
Get 6% Cashback (capped at $60) from these online merchants with Maybank credit cards!
Till 15 Sept: Get a free Dyson Pure Cool Me (worth $499) or $300 cash for new to Citibank cardholders!
WhatCard of the Week: UOB One Card
WhatCard of the Week: DBS Live Fresh Card
Why I'm still using my YouTrip card during CB
Till 10 July: UPSIZED $220 cashback for all new-to-bank DBS card applicants, no minimum spend required!
Pros and cons of keeping your savings in your CPF Special Account (SA)
Get up to $88.88 in Ang Pao with Google Pay's Huat Pals this CNY!
Get up to $45 weekly just doing funds transfer to your friends!
WhatCard of the Week: Maybank Horizon Visa
CLOSED: Free Apple Air Pods (worth $299) for all new-to-bank SCB card applicants, no minimum spend required!
WhatCard of the Week: DBS Woman's World MasterCard
WhatCard of the Week: Amex True Cashback Card
Now, you can register your interest for the Covid-19 vaccine!
Here's why the UOB Absolute Cashback Card is the latest addition to my wallet
Now you can use ipaymy to make payments overseas!
A card game that teaches you about investing while promising lots of fun with friends and family!
3 practical considerations when deciding to use YouTrip or Revolut abroad
Amex cardholders can enjoy 15% cashback on Fave deals till 31st Aug 2020!
6 ways to invest in property with as little as $1000!
WhatCard of the Week: DBS Altitude Card
Restaurant-quality collagen soup base delivered to your doorstep!
WhatCard of the Week: Amex Krisflyer Credit Card
WhatCard of the Week: OCBC Titanium Rewards Card
Best credit cards to maximize rewards on e-commerce platforms this 11.11!
SC X Card is waiving 2nd year annual fees for all cardholders
WhatCard of the Week: StanChart Unlimited Card
WhatCard of the Week: BOC Elite Miles World Mastercard
The highest interest savings account in Singapore today (2021 Edition)
Best credit cards for large expenses (wedding, furniture/electronics) - updated for Sept 2020
WhatCard of the Week: Citi Cash Back + Card
Fixed Income Basics: Understanding Bond Investment Terms
Cashback vs Miles cards – which should I start with?
Get 2% cashback (capped at $15) from online shopping with YouTrip card with no minimum spending!
What is the value of a mile in the post Covid-19 world?
Webinar on Covid-19 and Credit Card Strategy

Insurance payments does not qualify for UOB one rebate if I read it correctly?

would it be possible to schedule like 5 different IRAS payments via ipaymy in order to hit the minimum 5 purchases a month on the same date for the UOB One card?

Hi @fxmac,

Yes! however do note that the admin fee is higher because the “WHATCARD” promo code only works for the 1st transaction.

Hi there, I have been charged both times through ipaymy (scheduled payment on 30th in previous month), while the income tax instalment debited on the 7th. Should I space it out further?

I have called up IRAS and checked, and it turns out you need to set the payout period at the precedent month, in order for them not to debit your account in the current month. Say typically GIRO deduct at between 4-6 July, you will need to set payout date by 30 June, in order for the system not to deduct in July.