πŸ’³ WhatCard Community

Cashback for wedding banquet

Hello. I am planning to get married next year Sept (approx 11-12mths more) at Mandarin Oriental. Need some help here on the best cashback card for paying banquet.

Scenario:

1. $5000 deposit. 1 month before wedding, pay 50% of balance and the rest after the wedding.

2. $5000 deposit. every month ask hotel to provide invoice link of perhaps 1.5k-2k until 1 month before wedding, 50% of balance and the rest after the wedding.

Was reading on UOB One and Amex true Cashback. Not sure which card+scenario pairing would give the best cashback.

Thanks alot everyone!

1 Like

Hi @alaricz! Very timely question because I’m actually just in the midst of finalizing my own wedding venue + payment with the hotel as well - just that I prefer miles cards and tbh I think you get more value for large payments like wedding by using miles cards (and get enough miles with just the wedding transactions to buy you and your wife a nice honeymoon flight :smiley: ), may want to consider!

Generally scenario 2 would work better because the cashback cap on most cards makes it hard to optimize a single lump sum. Would say that best approach is to split the payments monthly, and do $2,000/month on UOB One for 5% cashback, or even $4,000/month (use two UOB One cards), depending on how much total payment you need to make. Then can pay the remaining lump sum after the wedding with Amex True Cashback.

Only thing to take note of is that he UOB One card needs minimum 5 transactions/month for cashback to be awarded, so don’t forget to use it for some random small transactions monthly as well!

1 Like

Thanks alot Glenn! Might consider using miles too from your advice!

1 Like